Does your metabolism need a boost? Here are some tips to make the most out of your metabolism:
1) Get some sunlight first thing in the morning. This will give your body the message to decrease your sleep hormones and wake your body back up. Walking the dog counts!
2) Eat breakfast. Your body needs fuel first thing in the morning or your metabolism will slow down to conserve fuel. A breakfast with some protein and fiber will help to keep you full for longer, decreasing your need for that mid-day sugar snack!
3) Take the stairs at Metro or at work. This quick jog up the stairs will increase your body's production of human growth hormone (HGH). It's HGH that helps maintain your muscles.
4) Get up from your office chair. You can burn up to 350 calories more per day just getting up from your seat and moving around your office regularly. Set your alarm on your watch and get up once an hour.
5) Take some deep breaths. Stress hormones can slow down your metabolism. When you are having a stressful day, remember to take some deep belly breaths.
6) Drink some water. Studies show that people who drank 2 cups of water had their metabolism increase by 30 percent! Their metabolism stayed higher for an hour.
7) Have an afternoon snack. When you eat every 3-4 hours, your metabolism doesn't have a chance to slow down. Digestion keeps your metabolism working!
8) Get in your exercise. Whether you exercise in the morning, afternoon or evening, get it done. A few times a week do interval training -- harder segments in your exercise routine. One example of interval training is adding short jogging bursts into your walk several times a week.
9) Eat a meal of lean proteins, veggies and whole grains. This combination will fill you up and build lean muscle.
10) Take your vitamins. Getting all of the vitamins your body needs will insure that your metabolism can function properly.
11) Get a good night's sleep. Rest is important for your body to function at its best!
Thanks to Shape magazine for help with this article.
I offer in-home personal training to clients in Bethesda, Chevy Chase, Gaithersburg, Kensington, Northwest DC, Olney, Rockville, Silver Spring and Takoma Park.
A personal trainer can give you the motivation to keep you going and give you a clear idea of what goals will work for you! Call Nancy at (301)942-3399 to start your High Energy Fitness program today!
High Energy Fitness
"Nancy has been my personal trainer for 1 year. My goals for working with a personal trainer were to increase my strength, improve my health, and to lose weight as part of dealing with painful hyper-flexible joints. One year later and Nancy has helped me to achieve all of these goals. I have lost so many inches that I have had to buy smaller clothes. All of my joints are stronger and I feel healthier than I have in years! Thanks to Nancy's knowledge about proper exercises for sore joints, and her constant guidance and advice I have been able to live a life with less pain and better health."
"Underexertion can be hazardous to your health. By opting to remain sedentary, you choose to feel needlessly fatigued, overworked and overwhelmed."